We were reading Splat and the Cool School Trip by Rob Scotton and we were inspired to make a cardboard roll penguin art project. It is a fun and easy art project for all ages. We made penguins because that was Splat’s favorite animal but you can make any animal with toilet paper rolls and construction paper.
- Different colored construction paper
- Empty toilet paper rolls
- Googly Eyes, stickers or other embellishments
- Cut white paper into 4 inch strips.
- Glue onto toilet paper roll.
- Cut out a circle for the head.
- Cut out a triangle for the beak.
- Glue onto head.
- Add eyes. Apply glue to the bottom half of the back of the head and glue to the body.
- Cut out wings and glue to the body
Extend the activity:
Read Splat and the Cool School Trip by Rob Scotton. Our full lesson plan is here.
Have the kids pretend to be penguins
Tell stories about your penguin.
Watch a video about penguins.
Research and learn more about penguins.
Here are some facts to go with your cardboard roll penguin art project:
Penguins are birds but they cannot fly. However,they are very skillful swimmers.It is the only bird which cannot fly but can swim!