Who says that you should not play with your food? Not us! We love coming up with fun snack ideas and using our imagination.
This an easy, fun snack idea for kids. If you want you can use green frosting and read the book Green Eggs and Ham.
- Fruit Leather
- Sugar Cookies (Gluten free recipe below)
- White Frosting
- Yellow Frosting
Gluten Free Sugar Cookie Recipe
Yields: about two dozen cookies depending on the size of cutters used.
- 1 cup of sugar
- ½ cup of butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water or milk
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon (optional)
- ½ teaspoon of xanthan gum (omit if your all-purpose flour has it)
- 2 cups of gluten free all-purpose flour (Better Batter, King Arthur Flour or Cup4Cup)+ more for rolling/dusting)
- In a large bowl, cream butter & sugar at medium speed.
- Add egg, water or milk, vanilla, salt, and cinnamon (optional). Blend until mixed well.
- Add xanthan gum and flour. Mix at a low speed until well combined.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll out dough onto a lightly floured surface, about ¼” thick.
- Cut out with selected cookie cutters and place on baking sheet. Make sure cookies are not touching.
- Reform and roll out scrap dough, then continue cutting more cookies.
- Bake 10-12 minutes. Remove from oven and let cookies cool five minutes on cookie sheet before removing onto a cooling rack. Cool completely before decorating.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Not all gluten free flours are the same. I’ve included the 3 all-purpose flours that I’ve made this with and that have yielded great cookies.
Refrigeration is a must, otherwise your dough will be too sticky to roll and cookies will spread. If you roll out your dough and it’s too sticky to “pick up”, put it back in the fridge prior to cutting.
Gluten free flour isn’t like regular flour, it doesn’t absorb moisture like wheat. Like with any gluten free recipe, using the same flour suggested is recommended and substitutions are highly discouraged.
I’ve reduced the amount of butter in this recipe to ½ cup. Reason: I used a rice + corn starch flour mix and the cookies were too soft. If you are using a homemade flour mix, with ½ cup butter you should be okay.
You will get a great reaction to this Fun Snack idea for kids!