We love this project! Making Fabric Bowls is a fun way to recycle fabric. We use this activity in therapy and at home with our own kids. Fabric Bowls DIY gift will be appreciated by anyone who receives one for their home.
FABRIC BOWLS: DIY GIFT
This post contains affiliate links. Please visit our disclosure page for more information.
We first came up with this idea when we were looking for activities that encouraged scissor skills. It has the added benefit of being an excellent sensory activity. Once it was done we realized that Fabric Bowls make an awesome DIY gift.
Target Skills for Fabric Bowls; DIY Gift:
- Fine Motor
- Sensory Integration
- Perspective Taking
Materials for Fabric Bowls; DIY Gift:
- Saran Wrap
- Fabric (lightweight natural fiber fabric works best)
- Modge Podge or Glue (watered down)
- Pan lined with wax paper
Instructions for Fabric Bowls; a DIY Gift:
Wrap the bowls tightly with saran wrap. Make sure that the saran wrap is folded over the top of the bowl with plenty of excess, that will make it easier to pull off later.
Cut small squares of fabric.
Apply the squares to the bowl using the Modge Podge or glue. Use lots of Modge Podge or glue.
- Allow the fabric to dry for 24 hours, then carefully peel away from the saran wrap.
- Trim away any extra fabric.
- While making the bowl talk about the person that you are making the bowl for, what colors do they like? What do you imagine they will use the bowl for?
This bowl is very durable. The one in the top photo is over ten-years-old and it still looks fabulous! This has been one of our most requested activities. Mothers and grandmas all over the San Francisco bay area have been enjoying their own fabric bowl DIY gift.
More DIY Gifts You Can Make