Camera Chain Letter: Social Skills and Letter Writing Activity
* We recently became aware of “scary chain letters” and “scary chain texts”. We do not think that this type of chain letter is helpful for children so PLEASE KEEP IT POSITIVE!
Target Skills for a Camera Chain Letter:
- Building connections
- Perspective Taking
- Following Directions
- Letter Writing
Materials for a Camera Chain Letter:
Instructions for a Camera Chain Letter with a Disposable Camera:
- Take a great photo with the disposable camera.
- Put the camera and a self-addressed padded envelope in a box.
- Include directions to take one photo and pass it on to somebody else, and to send the camera back to you when all of the photos have been taken.
- Include a list for people to write their contact info so that you can see where your camera has been and also so that you can share the photos with them once you get the camera back.
- Write a letter to go with the camera. This is a good way to practice letter writing skills.
- Mail the packet off to a friend.
- When you get the camera back, develop all of the pictures to see where your camera has been! Then write letters to everyone and include a picture from the chain.
Instructions for a Camera Chain Letter with a Digital Camera:
- Take a great photo with the digital camera.
- Email the picture to a friend.
- Include directions to take one photo and pass all the pictures you received along with a new photo on to somebody else. Cc everyone who has already taken a picture for the camera chain letter.
- Write a letter to the person who sent you a photo. If you start the chain write a letter to the person to whom you sent the picture.
- Once the chain has ended collect all the pictures and make a collage.
Ways to Extend this Camera Chain Letter Activity:
- Have a class or group of children take the pictures then have them guess who took which picture.
- Write stories about each other’s pictures.
- Arrange with a “sister class/school” to have each class from the different places take the pictures then trade them with each other.
- Have a video chat with each other, discuss the photos.
- Start a camera chain letter where each child takes a picture of a facial expression. Then make a photo collage.
- You could also try a Sticker Chain Letter. It’s a great way for younger children to feel special and connected.