How Am I Feeling Social Skills Game is a silly way to explore how to recognize and express feelings.
This social skills game is super fun for everyone but it is especially useful when you want to expose children to exploring their feelings.
This printable game is so fun the whole family will want to play. The object is to guess the feeling that the player is acting out. It gets a little tricky though because the words they say may not match the feeling. Imagine saying, “Roses smell sweet.” while acting angry. Not only will it make you laugh, it will encourage the players to pay attention to the way the words are said as well as the body language. We provide a basic set of feelings and sentences but you can have fun thinking of your own to add to the game.
Recognizing and showing feelings is difficult for some children. Children who do not practice “whole body listening” innately, benefit from games and exercises that teach them these skills.
Whole body listening refers to the act of orienting one’s body to face the people who are speaking, mirroring their body positions, watching their movements and expressions. People who have difficulty doing this tend to rely on the words that are said rather than the tone or manner that the words are expressed. This game deliberately mismatches the words to the feelings so that one needs to pay attention to the facial expression, body language, and tone in order to correctly guess the feeling. The person acting out the feeling also needs to have some self-awareness in order to accurately portray the feeling so that others can guess what feeling they are acting out.
Whole body listening, Social Skills, Defining and Recognizing Feelings, Eye Contact
Materials you will need to play How am I Feeling?
- Feelings Cards (We made some but you can make more!)
- Sentences/Phrases Cards
- Game Board
- Download Printable Cards and Game Board
Instructions on how to play this social skills game:
- Place 6 Feelings cards on the board.
- One player rolls the dice, keeping it hidden so the other players cannot see the number. The number will correspond with a feeling card on the board.
- The player who rolled the dice then picks one of the Sentences cards and says that sentence while acting out the feeling they got.
- Once a feeling is acted out replace that card with another feeling.
- The other players try to guess what the feeling is that they are acting out. The person that guesses correctly goes forward 2 spaces. The player who acted out the feeling goes forward 1 space. If no one can guess then no one moves and it is the next player’s turn.
- The first player to finish wins.
HAVE FUN WITH FEELINGS!