Kids are fascinated with Ancient Egypt. Our book club decided to read The Pharaoh’s Secret by Marissa Moss and explore Ancient Egypt and as we lost ourselves in the pages, discovering an ancient world, we created an Ancient Egypt study unit for children in elementary and middle school that is chock full of engaging activities.
We had so much fun with our Ancient Egypt Study Unit, we want to share it with you.
This post contains affiliate links. Please visit our disclosure page for more information.
Ancient Egypt Study Unit Activities
- Have the students figure out what their names would be in Hieroglyphics.
- Here is what our name looks like in Hieroglyphics:
Sports were important to the Ancient Egyptians
- Have the kids research what sports were popular in Ancient Egypt.
- Have a “sports day”, Ancient Egyptians played tug of war and pass the hoop among other sports.
The Rich Symbolism of Ancient Egypt
- Explore the symbolism of different animals that are featured in the ancient Egyptian culture.
Make a pop-up book about Ancient Egypt
- We have The Pop-Up Book: Step-by-Step Instructions for Creating Over 100 Original Paper Projects but you can also find online instructions for different pop-up techniques.
Ancient Egypt Craft projects
- Make an amulet out of model magic.
- Make a Pharaoh’s Headdress.
- Craft an easy ancient Egyptian collar or necklace out of a paper plate.
- Make or design a pyramid
Explore the weather in Egypt
- Decide whether you want to report the weather as it is today in Egypt and perhaps contrast it with the weather where you live or if you want to do a fictional weather report about how the weather may have been for the ancient Egyptians.
Writing topic ideas for exploring Ancient Egypt
- Research Egypt and make a brochure of the historical sites in Egypt.
- Research the climate and do a weather report.
- Write a story where the main character lives in Ancient Egypt.
- Research and compare two of the pharaohs.
- Write a newspaper article about any pharaoh.
Research Ancient Egyptian food
Read books about Ancient Egypt