Yay! It’s time for another year of 10 Days of a Kid-Made Christmas Ornaments & Gifts Inspired by Books! If you haven’t seen this series before you are going to be delighted. A group of talented parents, educators, and bloggers share their crafty creations for the holidays. We particularly love this event because we are passionate about books (picture books, especially), crafting with the kids and having fun celebrating.
This page contains affiliate links. Please visit our disclosure page for more information. In plain language, all this means is that if you click on a product we get a teeny tiny commission.
Picture Book-Inspired Kid Made Balloon Ornaments
“The New York Times bestseller that celebrates the dreams, acceptance, and love that parents have for their children . . . now and forever!”
“From brave and bold to creative and clever, Emily Winfield Martin’s rhythmic rhyme expresses all the loving things that parents think of when they look at their children. With beautiful, and sometimes humorous, illustrations, and a clever gatefold with kids in costumes, this is a book grown-ups will love reading over and over to kids—both young and old. A great gift for any occasion, but a special stand-out for baby showers, birthdays, and graduation. The Wonderful Things You Will Be has a loving and truthful message that will endure for lifetimes.” Random House
Throughout the book, balloons are scattered through the illustrations. If you have seen some of our previous posts you will know that we love balloons. For us, balloons represent high spirits and hope, celebrations and childhood so that’s why we decided we needed some balloon ornaments for our holiday celebrations.
Materials Needed to Make Balloon Ornaments:
- Balloons (We used Water Balloons.)
- Tissue Paper
- School Glue or Mod Podge
- Kids Scissors
- Pipe Cleaners
- Foam Sponge or Paint Brush
Instructions on How to Make Paper Mache Balloons:
- Have the kids cut the tissue paper into small squares. We tried using some beautiful gold wrapping paper but it was difficult to work with and not worth the bother.
- Blow up the balloons. Wrap the pipe cleaner around the knot, We hung the balloons on a stick so they could hang and dry,
- If you are using glue water it down a bit so it spreads more easily. Apply a layer of the glue mixture of mod podge on the balloon and start painting on the layers of tissue paper. Apply lots of layers so the finished product doesn’t collapse once the balloon inside is popped. Once the balloons are fully covered with tissue paper allow them plenty of time to dry.
- Tie a ribbon around the neck of your paper mache balloon. You can leave them as they are and use the pipe cleaner to hang them from the tree or you can thread a ribbon through the top.
To extend the activity you could attach notes of what the children wish for. You can paint or decorate the paper mache balloons. Or explore the book some more: Kid’s Creative Chaos has some fun book companion activity ideas for the kids.
Now it’s time to check out all the other amazing ornaments and DIY gifts from the 10 Days Of Christmas Kid-Made Ornaments and Gifts 2017 Collection!
- Mama Miss: Kid create a colorful painted Elmer Ornament
- Blue Bear Wood.
- Feels Like Home: Felt Cat Ornament – DIY Christmas Ornaments for Kids with a Free Printable Pattern.
- Wunder-Mom: Old Fashioned Two Ingredient Cinnamon Ornaments.
- Inspired by Family: An adorable pin cone owl ornament tutorial.
- Artsy Momma: DIY Jeweled Rainbow Ornaments Inspired By My Color is Rainbow.
- The Moments At Home: I Spy Ornament Inspired by a Children’s Book
- Sunny Day Family: Cupcake Liner Ornaments Inspired by Too Many Tamales.
- Rhythms of Play: Add a little rustic bling to your Christmas tree with DIY rhinestone pinecone ornaments!
More Holiday Inspired Ornaments and Kid-Made Gift ideas from Mosswood Connections:
- Winter Candle: Easy candle decorations
- Auntie Claus deluxe edition by Elise Primavera: Jingle Bell Christmas Tree Ornament
- The Day the Crayons Quit by Drew Daywalt: Adorable, interactive crayon ornaments
- An Absolutely Awesome Collection of Kid Made Gifts