The Splat the Cat books by Rob Scotton delight children as they follow the adventures of Splat the Cat and his friends. We have so much fun reading the books that we created some Splat and the Cool School Trip Lessons and Activities to go along with one of our favorite picture books.
This page contains affiliate links. Please visit our disclosure page for more information.
Splat and the Cool School Trip Lessons and Activities
Join Splat the Cat on a school trip to the zoo. Splat the Cat is so excited when Mrs. Wimpydimple announces that the class will be going to the zoo. While everyone calls out his or her favorite animal—Elephant! Giraffe! Monkey!— Splat only wants to see the penguins. After all, penguins are perfect; they are black and white, just like Splat! All day long, Splat just can’t wait. But when the smallest animal makes the biggest splash and shuts down the penguin exhibit, Splat goes home disappointed and alone . . . or does he?
Extend the fun of reading picture books with Splat and the Cool School Trip Lessons and Activities.
Questions to ask as you read Splat and the Cool School Trip:
- Have you ever been too excited to go to sleep?
- What did you do when you could not fall asleep?
- Here are some of our ideas:
Listen to music.
Make up a chant about the next day; repeat that chant until you get sleepy.
- Draw a picture and/or tell a story about what you are excited about.
- Tell about a time when you felt disappointed. What did you do?
- Do you like to go to the zoo? Why or why not?
- What is your favorite animal? What do you like about that animal?
- If you could plan a field trip where would you go? Why?
Splat and the Cool School Trip Book Extension Lessons and Activities:
- Harper Collins has a fun, free activities and event printables with Splat the Cat coloring pages.
- Take a virtual field trip to the zoo. SanDiego Zoo Kids has a plethora of fun resources and games.
- Splat had fun seeing all the animals at the zoo. Choose your favorite animal and draw a picture, make a research paper.
- MELD Lesson Plan based on California State Educational Standards.
- Make a Splat the Cat look-a-like out of a paper bag.
- Make your own Splat Pictures. Tell a story to go along with the picture.
- Do a dot-to-dot penguin activity or penguin coloring page!
- Choose from one of these 11 adorable penguin crafts.
- Download the School Bus Coloring page.