When my brother and I were kids we spent a lot of time digging in the back yard. One of our favorite fantasies was that we would find some long ago buried treasure box or time capsule. We found many treasures: long discarded toys, old coins, and the occasional fossil, but we never found that elusive treasure box.
Treasure Boxes and Time Capsules
Fast forward to adulthood where we now have the power to create treasure boxes and time capsules with our kids. We don’t bury them in the backyard, we store them carefully in a closet to be rediscovered at some future date. My sister-in-law’s family has a tradition of having a baby naming party to celebrate the latest baby in the family. At the party, people who are close to the family bring something special for the new baby to put in a treasure box, to be opened when the baby turns 13. For one niece, I gave a pin that had belonged to her great-grandmother and another niece received a treasure candle filled with 13 treasures. It was so lovely watching my nieces open their treasure boxes this past year when we celebrated their 13th birthdays. It was a box full of memories and love that I am sure they will treasure forever.
A beautiful reminder of fun times and past accomplishments
In the spirit of storing treasured memories, I like to make Time Capsules with the kids with whom we work. It is so easy to forget all those small moments that dance by as we go through our days. The Time Capsules are a wonderful way to remind the child of what they have accomplished and what fun they have exploring and learning. It’s amazing how thrilled kids get when they look through their capsules years later.
There are many ways to make a time capsule project for kids. In the spirit of re-use and recycle we used plastic bottles but you can use any container.
Materials for your Time Capsule project:
- 2 large plastic bottles
- Duck Tape
- Permanent Markers
- Treasures and notes
Instructions for your Time Capsule project:
- Wash out the bottles and cut off the top.
- Cover the cut edges with the tape.
- Have the children choose what treasures they want to put in the time capsules. Our Time Capsules have the theme “Summer Fun” so we put in projects, pictures, and treasures from this summer.
- It is nice to sneak in a note from you for them to open and read in the future.
- Decorate the bottle with the permanent markers. If you are doing multiple Time Capsules for multiple children or you plan to do this again in the future, be sure to label the Time Capsules with the child’s name and the date.
- Tape the two bottle pieces together and store for a future date.
What would you put in your Time Capsule?
If you are looking for more fabulous activities for kids check out
Be sure to stop by our Pinterest Board to see what else we have been doing!