Germ Experiments for Kids
Science Experiments that Teach about Germs
“Every brilliant experiment, like every great work of art, starts with an act of imagination.” – Jonah Lehrer
Stuck at home with the kids? Freaking out because the kids are scared about the Coronavirus COVID-19 outbreak? One way to combat fear is with knowledge. After all, knowledge is power and it helps children to understand more about what germs are and how we can defeat them. We have been having fun exploring science and now the kids are learning and laughing again.
This post contains affiliate links. Please visit our disclosure page for more information.
Science Experiments and Demonstrations
- Make Germs Scatter Science Demonstration: Kids are amazed by this simple science demonstration that shows how using soap when washing hands literally makes “germs” scatter.
- Two Germ Science Projects from Home Science Tools: By conducting one germ experiment, you may find answers to basic questions about these microorganisms: What are germs? Can you see germs? Where do they come from? How can you protect yourself from them?
- Cover Your Mouth – Germ Science: Use glowing germs to teach health! It is hard to teach kids about germs when you can’t see them, but what if kids could see simulated germs on their hands and anything they touch?
- Growing Germs Experiment: This simple kids’ science experiment uses an apple and your kiddo’s own germs to show little ones just how important hand washing is now that a pandemic is upon us.
- Germ Experiment — Where Do Germs Grow in Your House??!: Children explore where and how germs grow in their house.
- Glitter Germs: Students will have a concrete example as to why they should wash their hands with soap and warm water.
Germ Art Projects for Kids
Why not make friends with germs with some fun art projects to go with the science experiments that teach about germs? Here are some ideas that we found.
- A Watercolor Art Project and a Hygiene Lesson in One. The kids get to play chemist by mixing their own watercolor paints.
- Icky Germs Craft For Kids: a visual representation of germs to help children be more aware of the fact that we can’t see germs and need to wash our hands even when they look or feel clean.
- A Super Cute Germ Craft: This adorable germ craft doubles up as a fantastic learning activity that can teach children not just about science, but also about the importance of washing their hands regularly throughout the day.
- Cute Germ Blow Painting Art With Straws: This germ blow painting art reminds of us our Make a Splat art project and it is perfect for preschoolers when learning about sickness, the human body, and the immune system.
- Germ Craft to Teach Children About Germs: teach kids about germs and get crafty!
Check Out Some Fun Videos and Song About Hand Washing!
Now that the children understand more about germs it’s time to wash hands! Here are some videos to teach children about washing their hands and some songs you can play to time their hand washing.
- Sing Song Along Germs Song: teaches children the importance of washing hands.
- Germs, Germs, Germs by WonderGroveKids: Remember to wash your hands!
- Hand Washing for Kids: Get Rid of Germs Learn How to Wash Your Hands
- “Hands, Washing Hands”: Neil Diamond reworks ‘Sweet Caroline’
- The Hand Washing Song: This song is a fun way to teach kids the proper way to wash their hands. Try singing it before mealtime or after playtime.
- Wash Your Lyrics: Why not make your own song? This site will generate your own song after you fill in the fields.
- Jimmy Fallon debuts ‘Wash Your Hands’ song with his daughters.